Dedicated to the safe observation of the
The United States saw a Total Solar Eclipse!
Your use of this site is contingent on your understanding and agreement that you have read this link, you agree with its contents, and you will comply with all the rules of common sense and well established protocols for eye safety when observing any solar phenomenon.
"...And we'll see YOU... in the shadow!!"

Did you order glasses from us? Are you worried about the big recall?
How do you know the glasses you got from us were safe to use? is on the American Astronomical Society's approved vendor list for eclipse glasses!

Also, please read the blog post we wrote about the safety of glasses ordered from!

Latest News

  • After the eclipse, be sure to submit your Eclipse Memories to us!
  • Watch for - dedicated to the NEXT total solar eclipse in North America! Coming SOON!

Share your 2017 total eclipse experience! is collecting eclipse day memories from everyone who experienced totality in the path!

Here, you can browse all the eclipse memories that have been posted!

Or, you can also share your stories, pictures, videos, and sound files with us,
as we archive the collective memories of this historic event from Americans and visitors alike!
If you have something to share, just click the button to get started!

The Great 2017 Eclipse Road Trip

D.H. Jonathan

Orin, Wyoming


August 21, 2017 was supposed to be the first day of high school for my younger son.  What he experienced that day was so much more amazing than anything he could have ever experienced within the walls of any public school.

We had originally planned a big family summer vacation to Florida and the Southeast which would have culminated with a viewing of the solar eclipse from my sister-in-law’s house in West Columbia, South Carolina. However, family and job issues prompted us to cancel that trip in favor of a mini-vacation to Colorado earlier in the summer.  Still, seeing this total eclipse, the first visible on continental U.S. soil in 38 years, was very high on my to-do list.  I figured I could drive from my home in Fort Worth, Texas to northern Missouri or southeastern Nebraska to see it with very little cost or effort.  The closest place to me would have been St. Joseph, Missouri, but my drive back would have taken me through Kansas City traffic on a Monday afternoon.  Instead, I chose Beatrice, Nebraska as a location, mainly because the National Homestead Monument, run by the National Park Service, is right there and was planning several eclipse events.

Hotels within that 70-mile-wide path of totality were ridiculously expensive, so I booked a room for the night before the eclipse at a Super 8 in Manhattan, Kansas.  Beatrice was only a 90 mile or so drive from Manhattan, and even with the heavy eclipse traffic, I didn’t think I would have any issues making it to that location before the eclipse.

I run the nursery at my church every Sunday morning, so my plan was to take care of the babies and leave right afterward, about 11:00 AM Central time.  My younger son Elijah was going with me, but the rest of the family had prior commitments and would be staying in Texas.  The weather was a huge concern of mine in the days leading up to the trip, and when I awoke Sunday morning, I was rather dismayed to see that clouds and possible thunderstorms were in the forecast for both southern Nebraska and northern Missouri.  The forecast for locations in the path of totality in eastern Wyoming were for clear skies.  I didn’t want to travel any distance and have our view of the eclipse obstructed by clouds, so I made a snap decision. I would drive to Wyoming.

Elijah and I hit the road shortly before 9 AM, leaving nursery duty to the rest of the family. With the less than 24 hours before the reservation in Manhattan, I didn’t think I could cancel the room I had booked, but I was prepared to lose the 64 dollars I had spent on it.  During our first gas stop in Amarillo, I got on my phone and booked a room at a Motel 6 in Denver, Colorado for that night.  Rooms further north in Fort Collins and Cheyenne were grossly inflated, but I got a good deal with the room in Denver, only 75 dollars. I didn’t know how bad the traffic from Denver to Wyoming would be, but I planned on giving ourselves lots of extra time.

I made the drive from Fort Worth to Denver in, for me, record time, less than 11 hours.  I slept somewhat sporadically from 9 PM until 2:45 AM. I showered and dressed and dragged Elijah out of bed at 3:00 AM.  We left our Denver hotel by 3:15 in the morning and started the 225 mile drive to Douglas, Wyoming. Driving through downtown Denver on I-25 at that hour was a breeze, but we ran into heavy traffic just before Fort Collins, and it remained heavy all the way into Wyoming.  I joked to Elijah that this stretch of I-25 had probably never been this busy during any 4:00 AM hour. What was amazing to see ahead of us was the steady line of red tail lights in the two northbound lanes ahead of us and virtually no traffic at all on the southbound side.

We were able to move at a fairly steady 60 to 70 miles per hour for most of the way, although we did encounter slowdowns due to congestion within Fort Collins and Cheyenne. We came to a near standstill just after 6:30 AM somewhere in the middle of Wyoming.  I wasn’t too worried since I figured we were already in the path of totality at that point, and the start of the eclipse was still over four hours away.  I did notice that the left lane was moving at least a little bit, so I moved over.  As I suspected, the backup was due to a two-mile long line of cars trying to exit at Glendo State Park.  From what I could see from I-25 as I drove past, the state park was a sea of tents and parked cars.

I knew the center of the path of totality was just south of Douglas, so I stopped at a truck stop at a little place called Orin, Wyoming.  There was a restaurant in the truck stop, and Elijah and I hoped to get some breakfast.  The place was overrun with cars and people even at 7:00 AM.  Inside the store, lines of people waiting for the restrooms intersected with the line of people waiting to buy something at the registers.  The restaurant was off to one side, and there was one lady in a red shirt taking all the orders, doing all the cooking, and serving all the guests.  I felt bad for her, but she did her best.  Once we did get our food, more than an hour after we ordered it, I slipped her a ten dollar tip.

After eating a really good breakfast (the bacon was so thick it was almost like ham), Elijah and I ventured outside to find our viewing spot and wait.  We were pleased to see that there was not a cloud in the sky.  We climbed a hill and found a white-bearded man sitting by himself in a prime spot for seeing the countryside all around.  As we talked, we discovered that this was to be his second total eclipse.  He had seen one previously in Mongolia.

As the time for the partial phase arrived, a family from Minnesota and a young guy from Denver joined us at the top of the hill.  We all talked and had a great time, checking the eclipse’s progress through our special eclipse glasses.

**Unfortunately, this form limits the number of characters I can use.  The rest of this is at my blog at

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Additional Files

Retun to the archive

Top Picks



Lebanon, TN, Don's Park

2017 Solar Eclipse: 4K Timelapse video

Christopher Couch | HAPP Research

Nashville, Tennessee

©2007-2017, inc. All Rights Reserved.